Monday, June 27, 2016

Exercise is dangerous

I tend to get really motivated every night just before bed.
I look back over my day and think "tomorrow I will do better!".
The motivation generally lasts until about lunch time but sometimes not even that long.
Last night my motivation hour happened to coincide with the same time that I was texting a neighbor and she asked me if I wanted to go for a bike ride the next morning.
I thought "NO. I  want to lay in bed and be lazy."
But I texted "Sure!" because sometimes I am able to overcome my worst self.
Sometimes.

So this morning we went for a bike ride.
Not a long or difficult ride, but it's a start, right?
And...
I fell.

I came to a sudden stop and couldn't get my foot out of the pedal and fell right over.
AGAIN!
I am way too old for this kind of crap.
I screamed as I went down, notifying my friend that something bad was happening right behind her.

A runner was behind me and was quite concerned, asking me over and over if I was ok and commenting on how good it was that I was wearing a helmet since I hit my head and the ground.
I was laying there, looking at my hand (which was scraped up and hurting) with my bike on top of me  just feeling stupid.
Somehow I had managed to release both of my feet as I fell though, so that's an improvement over the last time I fell.  Last time my foot was still attached to the bike and it twisted my knee and hip in a most painful and awkward way.

After I got home, I laid on the couch and iced my wrist.  It's hurting in earnest now.
I think it's just a bad bruise, nothing more serious than that, but it hurts to use it.

As I lay there, hubby comes in and asks what's wrong so I tell him.
He is confused and amused and sorry for me all at the same time.
He keeps going on about how he has had clip in shoes for his bike for a long time and doesn't remember having so much trouble.
He's worried that I won't ride my bike because I'll be too nervous.
He's brainstorming all kinds of ideas to help me get used to the bike.

Here is part of our conversation:

Frank: Well, this will make a good blog. Want me to take your picture of you icing your hand?
Debbie: I'm not going to blog about what an idiot I am!
F: Well, you do sometimes write those kind of blogs.
D: Good point.  Go ahead and take a picture, but I'm not using it if I look fat.
F: I'm not going to take your picture.  Don't blog about it!
D: That's why I blog! I want my grandkids to know that I was a normal person.  That I sometimes did dumb things. Wouldn't you like to know these things about your Grandma?
-pause-
F: I guess so.  But...well, I'm a normal person...but I don't fall off my bike.
_____

P.S. I looked fat. No picture. HAAA!


1 comment:

  1. Oh man, ouch! I'm so sorry. Those clip in pedals terrify me.

    ReplyDelete