Thursday, June 11, 2015

Today


I've been having insomnia for a few days now.
Waking at 2:30 AM and not able to go back to sleep.
Waking at 3:00.  Tossing and turning and finally reading in bed.

Today I went to the gym at 7:00 AM even though I had another restless night.
Then afterwards I went for my daily walk with one of the ladies that lives in my neighborhood.
We try to go everyday at 8:30 AM.
I was so tired as we strolled through the town cemetery (yes, that's where we walk each day).
I just wanted to go home and read a book and take a nap.

Then it was off to the stores to buy Ryan a pair of pants and "non-slip" shoes for his new job that starts today.
He's working in a bakery nearby.
He says they are going to teach him to do some cake decorating...maybe just some simple things like writing the words on an already decorated cake? I really don't know.
But I wonder if he will some day make me a birthday cake that he decorates himself. 
I would like that.

I sat out on the covered porch and read for awhile while the rain came down and the smell of woodsmoke filled the air.
Our neighbors are probably smelling it too and wondering who in the world has a fire going on this warm summer day...
The fact that we had some thunderstorms today helped make the fire seem less ridiculous.

The book I was reading is  State of Wonder by Ann Patchett.
I often go to the library website and just pick a book at random.  I will base my choice on the title or the cover of the book.  There is really no reason to think it might be a good book necessarily.  But I like taking chances on my reading choices.
As I read it, I realized that it was familiar.
I had randomly chosen this book before.
But I kept reading because it is a really good book.
I just finished it a few moments ago and it left me feeling sad.
I hate those first hours after you finish a good book...it takes me awhile to adjust to real life again.

Ryan is off to work.
Carter is in the basement, reading and watching the fire.
Branden, Amber and the girls have gone on vacation to Michigan to see Amber's family.
Frank is out of town until tonight.

And so my house is exceptionally quiet.

The kind of quiet that makes a person want to nap. Or read a good book.
But I just finished mine.

1 comment:

  1. Insomnia would kill me! I'm so sorry! Love this post though.

    ReplyDelete