Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Welcome to my kitchen

Like most people (I think, or maybe I hope?) I have some drawers in my kitchen that are complete disasters.
One such drawer that I have always had was the drawer that held my measuring cups and spoons.
In some houses, I had these items combined with spatulas and other miscellaneous kitchen gadgets.
In other houses, the measuring things were mostly on their own, but always a mess.
In this house, I am somewhat lacking in drawer space so I had to improvise.
I bought a little basket at the dollar store and threw all of the measuring things in it.  Then put the basket on the lazy susan in my corner cupboard.
This has been the best idea ever!
The basket it still often a disaster...why is it that no one but me is capable of nesting the various sized measuring cups?  They just throw them in the bin willy nilly.
But the fact that these items are all in a basket together has been so fabulous.
When I go to cook something, I don't have to rummage through a messy drawer to find the right measuring utensil.
I simply pull the whole basket out of the cupboard, place it next to me on the counter and all of my measuring cups and spoons are right there next to me!
It's a little thing, but its made me feel less crazy when working in the kitchen.

Also, am I the only one who has an assortment of mismatched measuring cups?  I buy one and somewhere down the line I lose the 1 Cup size (for example), so I eventually go buy another set.  Of course I can't find the exact same kind so I get something different.  Something that won't stack with the other set. Grrr.  And so it goes on for a number of years (also doing the same thing with measuring spoons) until I have such a mish mash of items that its just silly.  I never throw away the partial sets, just keep adding.

Somehow, after all these years, I only have one 1 Cup measure.  I have a variety of 1/3 Cup and a couple of 1/2 Cup.  Only one 1 Cup.  Where do they go?

And another thing...the measuring spoons that all come on a ring. Those annoy me. For so long I felt the need to keep them on that stupid ring.  Yes, it keeps them all together but if I use only the teaspoon, I have to wash the whole set. I finally took them all off the rings and just reach in the basket and grab the specific size that I want.

I've been watching HGTV lately on Netflix and it is not helping me love my current kitchen. So here is my attempt to love what I have. Darn it, that Dollar Store basket makes me happy!

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of taking the spoons off the ring! Why didn't I think if that?!?! I guess I'm a rule follower and I though that since they're a set they must stay together or something. I'm taking them off the rings today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny that you say that because, in my original write up of this post I talked about the fact that I always kept them together because I'm such a rule follower! (Kind of like removing the tags on the mattresses and pillows that somehow seemed against the rules since childhood) hahaha

      Delete
  2. I keep them on the ring and just take off the one I need. They pull off, you don't have to remove the whole ring. Also, I only have full sets of measuring cups but my mom has random ones from different sets, which seems backward (since she's neat and I'm not). I have two Disneyland measuring cups but that's only because the other two broke. The other ones I have are metal and fit all together nicely. I'm OCD about that. Maybe that's why I'm the only one that unloads the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete