Saturday, September 23, 2017

Grandma's dishes

I finally got around to putting out my Grandma's glassware on the shelves in my eating area. I love the old glassware so much and some of these pieces really bring back memories for me.

We drank out of these glasses regularly, they were grandma's normal glasses from what I remember...although she also had some plastic glasses for daily use, but when we ate dinner, these are the ones that went on the table.

The fancier ones were for special occasions. I remember using them a few times as well...and I didn't get to visit my grandma all that often over the years as we usually lived far away. But I guess our visits were considered special occasions.


The small ones were for ice cream.
I vividly remember eating a single scoop of chocolate ice cream in these dishes. Even at the time, I loved these dishes so much.
Remember when we used to have a single scoop of ice cream in a nice dish and that was dessert?
Now I think everyone would look at me like I was crazy if I offered them this.  The guys in my house want a big ol' bowl full of ice cream, not a little scoop!

A few of the pieces were in Grandma's china cabinet and I don't remember ever using them.  But I remember loving to looking her china cabinet at all of her glassware.
Some of the pieces are also finds from garage sales.  I just got the jar this year.
So even though they weren't my Grandma's dishes, they were someone's grandma's dishes and they give me that same nostalgic feeling.

One of the bowls was my Grandma's and my mom had it for years. 
Whenever my mom comes over she always notices it and says, "I used to have a bowl just like that!" and I have to tell her that it is her bowl.   
She is always glad it has a good home.


No comments:

Post a Comment