Sunday, September 17, 2017

A little update

I am having trouble coming up with blog ideas because my days are all so much the same now.  I guess that was true before as well but now they really are exactly the same.  But I do have a bit of a life after 5:00 so here's an update.

This is what was waiting for me this weekend:
Lots and lots of produce.
(I'm not even showing you the huge box of green beans that Frank put in the refrigerator.)


Yesterday I made a second huge pot of chili.  I made one earlier in the month that completely filled my canning pot (which is a very very large pot) but it was more of a soup than a thick chili.  It was a new recipe and, though it was tasty, it wasn't really chili.
  
I decided to use the latest tomatoes from the garden to make a more traditional chili.  I tripled the batch to use as many of the garden tomatoes as possible but it wasn't as much as I thought it would be...so I added a second triple batch.


I really wanted to get all of the tomatoes processed in some way.  There are more out in the garden so I don't need these sitting on my counter for another week!
I wish I had counted how many tomatoes I skinned, seeded and chopped today but it was a whole lot.
The chili recipe used about 100 tomatoes!
and then I skinned, seeded and chopped the rest for freezing and I will use them to make either tomato sauce of some kind (maybe spaghetti sauce) or another batch of chili.
I was tired and sticky and so done with the kitchen by the time I stopped.
(I found another 1/2 box of tomatoes that I hadn't noticed but I just could not bring myself to deal with them so I will try to force myself to do it Monday...maybe)

I also cleaned and snapped all of the green beans for freezing.
The only thing I still haven't dealt with is the zucchini.
Oh, the zucchini.

While I was working in the kitchen and watching The Great British Baking Show as I worked, Frank was outside working on his big project:


Chopping and stacking all the wood from the two trees we took down.
He has gone out every single evening for quite awhile now and spent time splitting the wood. We like joke about how the pioneers had to do this all the time since they needed wood for everything and how buff they must have been, because it's hard work splitting wood!  He likes to try to harass me into doing it too because, you know, pioneer women probably did it...but I am not easily moved from my perch on the couch in the evening. ha!

Anyway, once we were both done, Frank came inside and was asking what we should have for dinner.
I wasn't about to cook anything
and he was tired from all of his physical labor...
so he made himself a peanut butter sandwich.
I opted for a few chips with my newest food obsession
guacasalsa.
I think I will give it it's own blog post. 
That's how much I love it.

It was only after we were done eating that Frank was like:
WHY DIDN'T WE EAT CHILI FOR DINNER??

HA!
We have a humongous pot of chili simmering on the stove and neither of us even thought of it!
It's just the big project of the day, not an actual meal in our minds I guess.
We had a good laugh over that.

We will be eating chili today though, I guarantee!


1 comment:

  1. So funny, I was actually thinking as I read "why didn't they eat the chili?" Ha! Looks yummy and exhausting.

    ReplyDelete