Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Finally finished

I finally finished my chair!

I didn't take a single picture this monday morning because
there was no time!
I got there at about 7:30 and we got right to work.
Since I didn't sign up for the next class,
I only had until 9:00 a.m. to work
before the next group showed up.
and they would all have chairs and projects with them
so no room for me!

We worked frantically
and I felt a bit stressed
but Kathleen kept saying "take your time"
(she could tell I was rushing and getting stressed)

I can't even remember what all we had left to do.
But I know we:
finished attaching sides and welting
made welting for back
attached welting along all the wood areas
attached the top and bottom of the back piece
put welting along the bottom of the chair
and attached the dust cover on the bottom of the chair
Then we tacked the front of the sides (by the wood)
and the sides of the back (where it meets the arms)
so that I could go back and sew it down.

When I left, all  I had left to do was the blind stitching of the back and sides.

Yes, hand sewing!
She kept telling me that it is a relaxing thing to do 
but I had a hard time imagining that to be true.

Here is Kathleen standing by my almost finished chair



This is the moment when I looked at the hand sewing that I needed to do and thought
"Maybe its time to go home!"
I wasn't excited to start that part...


But I brought it home and vowed to finish asap
rather than having a mostly finished chair sitting in my house
mocking me

You use a curved needle and strong nylon thread to do the blind stitching
And you know what?
It wasn't that bad!


I stitched and stitched and stitched


I "watched" movies and tv shows on my iPad while I stitched.
I watched Lilo and Stitch!
get it?


Here are all my leftovers from class.
What should I make next?


Carter thinks it looks orange
but to me it looks like a nice yellow.

In these pictures, I can see what he means though.



P.S.
My fingers are sore

1 comment: