Monday, May 22, 2017

Problems that aren't real problems

Here's the thing:  I am one of those people who does not like stuff all over my countertops.
In my perfect kitchen there might be one thing, perhaps a vase of flowers, on my counter.
The rest of the space would be clear of any clutter.

In reality my counter has all kinds of stuff on it.  And I don't seem to be able to change it.

These are the things that are always on the countertop:

Paper towel holder
Toaster
Blender
fruit bowl/banana hook
drying mat for dishes




The paper towel holder doesn't bug me that much.  In my last house I hada rod that hooked to the underside of my cabinets which I liked but it was apparently too hard to work because no one ever changed the paper towel roll but me.  At least this one is easy enough for the guys in the house to work. *sigh*

The toaster drives me nuts.
The cord is too long and also too thick so I can't hide it away.  The crumbs! Ugh.  Today I actually took the toaster outside and shook it with all my might. Then I attacked it with the air compressor. I washed the outside thoroughly and then when I brought it back in...it left crumbs on the counter.  Why is this?
I used to put it in the cupboard after use but my family rebelled.  They want it out and so it is out.

The blender.
What an eyesore.
But it gets used at least once a day...usually more than that.  It's really not worth moving it that many times to have it off the counter for the time that it isn't in use.  Plus I don't really have a place for it.  It still bugs me.  I know if I put in in a cupboard I would hear complaints.
You can see in the picture that the pitcher portion of the blender isn't there. That's because it is on another part of the counter...drying. ugh.

Fruit bowl/banana hook:  It is currently empty but it usually has apples and bananas (I just got home from being in Alaska so we need groceries).  I don't mind how it looks when full of fruit but during garden season it doesn't hold enough so I end up with the bowl plus a big stack of tomatoes all over. Dislike.
I'm thinking of getting  banana hook that attaches to the cupboard and can be folded away when I don't actually have any bananas.  I would still have the fruit bowl but maybe I can put it on the table and force myself to keep the table cleaned off!  It's important to have dreams.

Drying mat: Well, this one is tough.  I almost always have something drying on it.  Maybe because I'm too lazy to dry the items and put them away immediately.  Today I had it all cleaned off (as you can see in the picture...ignore the towel there. ha!) and within 30 minutes I had refilled it with pans and knives that can't be put in the dishwasher.  Plus the blender is almost always there drying between uses.  I keep thinking I'll make a different mat that matches the kitchen better and fits the whole space since what I usually do when drying dishes is place a towel along side the mat since the mat is too small.

In addition to these items I can often find other things on my counters: dirty dishes, mail, other various papers that need to go elsewhere but haven't yet, medications and items that need to go out to the recycle bin but no one wants to do it so they sit on the counter.

You would never know by looking at my kitchen that I hate clutter and want to have clear counter tops.

Never!

That's today's installment of problems that aren't really problems.

1 comment:

  1. My friend has a cabinet with her appliances in it. It's really a portion of her countertop that they enclosed, so when you need and use them you open it, then close it so it's out of sight the rest of the time. Maybe you could build something?? The drying rack makes me crazy, I have one too. But my enormous counters are always covered with stuff and I haaaate it. No matter how often I clean it off it's filled with stuff by the end of every day.

    ReplyDelete