Sunday, January 5, 2020

Me. At 53.

It's my birthday today! I am 53 years old which is just crazy. I mean, 53...definitely past "middle age" right?

I will continue the tradition of writing down what I did on my birthday. Here is last year.

Since my birthday fell on a Sunday this year, it will obviously be a quieter day. No eating out or going to do activities.

I woke up late and got ready in leisurely fashion. Our church changed from 9:00 am to 10:30 am today. I let my hair dry naturally and then decided to just leave it curly for church. I took a picture and it's pretty surprising to see how much of my grey has grown in. It's way more noticeable in pictures than in real life I feel like.

Meeting at 10:30 is obviously nice for the morning routine but will have downsides, one of which is that another ward has already been in the building so the perfume is already in the air. I got a migraine last week from perfume and was pretty frustrated. I ended up posting about it on Facebook and so now more people in the ward are aware of my issues which is mostly good but I still feel awkward. Several people commented today on how they could smell the perfume in the air.  I got a bit of a headache but moved back by the stage to sit for awhile and that helped. Since today was the first week of Sunday School I really didn't want to miss meeting my new class.

I hope I can give them rave reviews as the year moves on but today was a struggle. I didn't teach this week but considering it was week one of the year, these kids weren't exactly trying to impress us. First impression: there are 2 that seem pretty good in the 'interact with the teacher' department, 1 that can be convinced to interact,  one that literally read on his phone the entire time (instagram? who knows!  Definitely not scriptures) and one who put his head in his hand and basically slept from what I can tell. Oy. I'm ready for Sunbeams!

After church I have basically napped intermittently, done some laundry and wasted time on my phone.  Frank has been slaving in the kitchen all day.  Poor guy. He's made 2 different chocolate pies (one is a "freezer pie" and one is a cooked pudding pie) as well as some Keto pork chops. (We've been dieting since before Thanksgiving and Frank has been really good...I've been a bit more flexible, as is my way. Ha!)

Frank had me open a present right when we got in from church. It turned out to be an automatic stirring device that he wanted to use to make the pudding for his pie! ha!

We also went shopping on Saturday for a new dress as a present. We ended up buying 2 and I wore one to church. I put the other one in the wash on cold/delicate so I could wear it on our vacation later this week...and it shrunk! gah. So annoying.  I'll probably still use it as a swim suit cover up but this is the second dress I've shrunk before even wearing it!  I've got to figure that out. :-(

At this moment, we have just finished the pork chops and they were delicious.

I got a pound of See's for Christmas (only one pound because we are dieting after all). I've allowed myself one per day but stopped a few days ago and saved the last one for today. It was hard. But I just ate it and it was fabulous. If only I had another pound box hiding somewhere...

Dion's family and Doneen's family are coming over later for dessert so we'll have the pie then. I'll try to update later after the festivities.

All of the boys sent me texts wishing me a happy birthday so no one is in the doghouse today! hooray!

------

The siblings and families as well as Jansen and Heather came over for dessert. I even had a surprise pop-in from Carter and Harley!
We had 2 kinds of chocolate pie, brownies and apple crisp! Yes, I tried them all!
And, bonus, Dion got me a small box of See's as a gift! I am saved.
It was super fun to hang out and talk together. It's one of my favorite things actually. Makes me glad I live close now.

No comments:

Post a Comment