Thursday, June 28, 2018

Celebrating 30 years

Last week Frank and I went to Cancun to celebrate our 30th anniversary.
We stayed in a resort that we've stayed at previously so we knew the area and the restaurants.
We told ourselves we would try new restaurants and go to new places...but we did very little of that.
We went to our favorite local beach where we hung out, ate local food and enjoyed the amazing beach and water. As usual, we were the only non-locals there.
Here's a picture from the internet.  We love this beach. The sand is soft, the water is clear and there are chairs and umbrellas. There are local families enjoying the day and a small local restaurant that serves fresh fish and delicious tortilla chips.

We asked for our favorite dish, Molcajete, from the restaurant at the resort even though it is no longer on the menu. They made it for us and it was super delicious!

We went to the road of Cenotes, which was new for us. We've been to other Cenotes but never this one. We swam around and enjoyed the cave, the water and yes, even the bats! I wasn't supposed to get my hand wet so I paddled around on a float which was still nice.

I can tell you that keeping your hand dry while staying in Cancun ON THE BEACH is not easy.

Our one big "new" thing took place on our last day. We went to an island about 2 hours away called Holbox (Pronounced HoleBosh--long "o" sound on both words). Once we arrived at the island we wandered around a bit enjoying the small town, we ate lunch and then we went to the beach which was GORGEOUS with the clearest water ever. Here are some more pictures from the internet: It looked exactly like this.  The water, the town, the flamingos! It was awesome.




Frank had a business call so after he was done, we signed up for a 3 island tour. Here is a description from the internet: a boat tour to Passion Island, Isla Pajaros and Yalahau Spring. On this guided excursion, view over 35 species of nesting birds on Isla Pajaros (Bird Island), including frigates and pelicans. Hear about the birds' migration patterns and breeding breeding behaviors from your bird-loving local guide. Continue to Passion Island to see the resident flamingos, then swim in the cenote (freshwater sinkhole) at Yalahau. 
We had a good time and even think we might enjoy staying on Holbox someday. I will, however, avoid Mosquito Point for obvious reasons. We tried to get as close as possible to the flamingos because I love them so much. I think I may have to get some flamingo art to put up in my room.

The other thing new that I did was that I took zero pictures.  I put my phone in the safe and left it there the whole week. I just enjoyed the beauty and the nice weather without posting about it or taking photos.  Now, with my terrible memory this might mean that this particular vacation could completely disappear from my mind, which I guess would be sad, but I enjoyed it while I was there. I know Frank took a couple of photos so if I get my hands on them, maybe I'll add them here.  And, obviously, I pilfered a few from the internet.

I'm as addicted to my phone as the next person but I'm trying to be less so. I'm trying to overcome that habitual grabbing of the phone throughout the day.  I don't use it at all during work either which is helpful.
I noticed so many people wearing their phones around their necks in Cancun. They have them in water proof bags on a string so that they can take selfies in the pool or ocean (and oh man, did we see a lot of that). I like to get pictures of Frank and I together when we do these kinds of things so I'm not anti-selfie or anything but it does feel like it is out of hand.  And so, I'm trying to overcome the pull of the phone in my own little way.

Sorry for the change of subject...Happy Anniversary to us! 30 years.  It's been great, and hard, and fun and awful at times. We've got 4 great boys and now 2 great daughters as well. It's gone so fast! I can't believe it has been 30 years already.

No comments:

Post a Comment