Wednesday, March 13, 2019

There's a first time for everything

Today, for the first time in my life, I paid someone to clean my house.
It's been 12 days since my foot surgery and I am still quite useless. I spend the majority of my day on the couch with my foot up on pillow, often with ice packs as well.
Frank has done a good job keeping up with food and dishes and laundry. But there's been no vacuuming and no one has touched the bathrooms either.
He has a stressful job and I just can't bring myself to tell him at the end of a long day when all he wants to do is watch a show and eat some dinner that he really needs to scrub the toilets.
And so I hired someone.
Two very nice women came cleaned my bathrooms and kitchen. They mopped (I really don't do that often enough), swept, dusted and vacuumed. The house looks awfully nice.
I felt weird sitting on the couch while they worked but at least I have a good excuse, what with the ace bandages and scooter and whatnot.
It's obvious that I'm not just being lazy.
If it weren't so expensive it would be tempting to have someone else do all those things I don't really enjoy doing. But I think this will likely be a one-off unless my recovery is much slower than I'm hoping.
It's funny how you notice things when 1-you have guests coming or 2-someone is coming to clean.
Suddenly you see how dusty everything is. You notice your gross microwave. You realize you don't mop often enough.
When it's guests, you get to work so as not to embarrass yourself.
When someone is coming to clean for you, you still want to tidy up for them, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Since I was basically incapable of tidying up, it wasn't that hard for me. But Frank did find himself putting things away and emptying trash cans before they were supposed to show up.
That made me laugh, I gotta admit!

No comments:

Post a Comment