Sunday, March 17, 2019

Engaged!

Carter got engaged to Harley Thorpe!

They have been dating pretty much since we moved here so they've been together a long time.
It's funny because we knew it was coming (he's had the ring for some time now) and he had told me that it would happen over spring break.

So once he did finally propose, in our minds it was like, "yep, they're engaged officially" but it's not like it was a big shock or anything.
We've just been waiting for it to be official.
So it didn't really occur to me to call anyone or text anyone when it happened.
I didn't want to post on facebook or anything until they had announced it themselves. I don't want to steal their thunder, ya know.

They called the parents that night and told us, which was fun! And they did put it on facebook. And Carter personally texted or told his brothers and maybe his grandparents (haha not actually sure about that).

Then, people in our neighborhood started coming up to us all excited "CARTER'S ENGAGED!" and we are like "Oh yeah, he is!" They sometimes seem surprised that we aren't going around announcing it and freaking out.

We even went to a family party and Carter asked me if I had told everyone. I told him that I assumed they had learned on Facebook but that it was possible that some people still didn't know. Oops!

I realized it was because in our minds, he's been engaged for awhile! Haha it just wasn't known to the whole world until this week.

We are excited and happy for them. They are a cute couple!

We don't know Harley's family well yet, but we really love Harley. (Her family raised a great girl and they love my son, so I am pretty sure they are awesome) I think our house is pretty boring compared to hers...she's still got siblings at home plus an adorable nephew...but she still comes over and we play cards and eat dinner or whatever. She's easy going and handles Carter's joking quite well! Being able to handle the Hill sense of humor is important if you're going to marry in.

The wedding won't be for about a year so don't go asking me about details yet! Lots of time to plan. (Not that I will be planning much...my job as mother of the groom is, I believe, to shut up and show up. Ha!)

Carter is a romantic at heart and he had a pretty big plan for proposing. They actually took a spring break trip to Europe and he proposed in Paris with the Eiffel tower in the background!  He had it all worked out to meet Austin and Katy in Paris and they all spent time together. Austin was on hand to catch a picture of the big moment.




When the proposal is big like that, I don't know how you deal with the honeymoon or anniversaries afterwards! haha He's setting a pretty high bar.

Congratulations Carter and Harley!
To Eternity and Beyond!



No comments:

Post a Comment