Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Complimentary

I made a decision a long time ago to forget about being shy or following social norms when it comes to giving compliments.
If I see someone and think "wow, she's pretty" or "cute shoes!" or "Oh I love that dress"...well I don't keep that information in my head. I tell the person.
Has it been awkward at times? Yes.
But has it been great other times? Yes!
So it's worth it.

I just thought one day that it would sure make me happy if some random person gave me a compliment (as long as it is done in a non-creepy way) so why not spread a little love?

I used to sometimes embarrass my kids with this behavior but I don't care.

I remember one day as I was filling my gas I saw a lady two pumps over with the cutest coat. So I yelled..."Hey, I really love your coat! It's so cute!"  My kids were mortified as they sat in the car. But she yelled back "Thanks! You made my day!"
So, sorry kids, it was worth it.

Anyway, I have continued this behavior for many years now.
Recently, however, I have wondered if my compliments are having the intended affect.

You see, I often like dresses or shirts or shoes or coats that happen to be worn by fairly young people.
I wonder if after my middle-aged, somewhat pudgy self tells them that I love their outfit, if they find themselves wondering if they like their outfit anymore?  Or do they think "am I wearing an outfit for  a middle-aged, somewhat pudgy person?"

I hope they just feel complimented and don't overthink it.

But I can imagine that if someone much older than myself complimented a shirt of mine, I might wonder "Is this a 90 year old woman's shirt?" See what I mean?

Possibly (probably) it is my own insecurity coming out as I think about this. But, these are the thoughts in my head, so there you go.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I do that too! Don't overthink it. Everybody loves a compliment.

    ReplyDelete