Thursday, May 17, 2018

Escape rooms

A few months ago I tried my first escape room.

We went for Frank's birthday when we had some family here for Christmas.  I thought it was super fun...although humbling in some ways.  We felt at times like we must be complete idiots but after we successfully escaped (ok with a couple of hints) we felt pretty darn proud of ourselves. If I think back, I'm not sure I was super helpful. I did find a few clues that were helpful but I didn't come to any of the big conclusions that led to breakthroughs.  Nevertheless...it was fun!

Then a girl at work told me about a local Harry Potter themed escape room. Oh man, I really wanted to go!

I talked some family members into it and we went.  This one was even better with multiple rooms that you had to figure out how to enter.  We had a really good time together and we also managed to escape this room with only one hint. The younger set we had with us did not want any hints at all, and maybe they would have figured it out, but we were definitely stuck at one point. Afterwards the guy said that he has to give 99% of the groups that particular hint. It was a tricky one. My only regret was that I didn't think to wear my Hogwarts shirt that I got in Florida. Ugh! I'm so dumb sometimes.

Anyway, the reason I am writing about this is that I am totally hooked! I want to go all the time!

Escape rooms are not cheap entertainment. Also, I have no interest in going with strangers so I can't really go with just Frank and I because they will likely add another group to our slot. I just don't think that would be as fun. I have to round up a group willing to spend a bunch of money to get locked in a room!  Not easy.

I just found out that there is one in my town here which is getting good reviews and it is 90 minutes rather than 60 so, obviously, it is more bang for the buck! There is also a new one opening nearby. And of course, the last two places I went to have other rooms with different games inside.  So many options. And I want to do it again and again. Maybe I will lose this desire once I have a room I do not escape from...who knows? I always try to bring some smart people with me to avoid this scenario.

So, who wants to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment