Monday, April 9, 2018

This happened...again

Well, this happened over here at the Hill home:





Yes, Frank got himself another jeep. He missed his old one, oh, probably from the minute he sold it. Not long ago, he started looking on KSL and talking about jeeps so I knew it was only a matter of time. At first he only looked at white jeeps, like he was trying to get his old one back. But he did eventually branch out and when he found a great deal on this dark grey one, he pulled the trigger.
It isn't as tricked out as his old white jeep so he is having to do some work to get this one ready for serious 4 wheeling. (heaven help me)

This weekend, the first weekend he has had the jeep, we went to Moab. I know, what a shocker.
I did tell Frank that I don't want to go all crazy like he did last time. If he wants to do serious rock crawling, he needs to make some guy friends!

We did a couple of fairly easy trails this weekend along with a bit of hiking.  I got out of the jeep at one point and Frank laughed at my new plan...when in doubt, get out!  I took pictures though, so I was useful. And, honestly we didn't do any trails that were too scary.
It was a really nice weekend.

I got out at this hill. It wasn't that bad but it's been awhile so I was nervous. ha!

First stop was Dellenbaugh Tunnel. It's actually an arch that is low to the ground apparently.
You can't tell from the picture but that is tall enough that we could walk through it.
There was a walkway along the left side and all on the right side was TONS of rodent poop. I don't know what kind of rodent but there are lots of them. I was glad I didn't see any of them.


We hiked around after that for awhile. It was a pretty area on the other side of the tunnel and it overlooked a big canyon.


We made our way back and then to our second stop: Secret Spire
We came across some other people on our way back, the only ones we would see all day (totally surprising since Moab was actually quite busy that weekend but there was no one where we went). They were in a normal Jeep Grand Cherokee going on the trail we went on. It was definitely some 4 wheel driving and I'm sure they must have scraped bottom at some points. They appeared to only go part way and decide to turn around. When they went back up that hill (the one I got out for on the way out), they had a hard time with wheels spinning and up on 3 wheels several times. I was stressed for them. Frank's jeep went right up so yay for big tires and whatnot.


Here is the Secret Spire.
It requires a bit of a 4 wheel drive trip to get there but not too bad.
It was really beautiful and this big spire sits up on a rock.  It really looks crazy, like it could fall on you at any moment.
We decided that this would be a good spot for lunch.
I sat in the shade of the spire and Frank went to get the food.
Turns out, sitting on the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere is not really the best spot for lunch because it was quite windy there.
We ended up chasing wrappers,  napkins, a slice of cheese and even my sandwich at one point.
I really though the sandwich was heavy enough to not get blown away...
Frank's water tipped over and spilled all down the rock, into his sandwich and all over his backside. 
A more eventful lunch that we had planned on!
Here is the distant view of the plateau we sat on:


He had some trouble finding a place to stay down in Moab-at least for a price we were willing to pay- since it was the end of spring break. He ended up finding a place to rent that turned out to be a little group of tiny houses!  I've wanted to see one in person (after watching so much HGTV, HA!)  It was super cute and really nice compared to your average hotel room. We liked it a lot and will probably stay there again when we go to Moab.

The cute little house even had it's own fenced yard with grill and picnic table

Our cute front porch...we sat out here when it started to rain and it was so nice.

The inside. Quite roomy and nice!
I've had a bad migraine week and it continued all weekend long so I was grateful for the tiny house because I took a nap while Frank did a little more exploring.

On the way out of town, we tried out some simple dirt trails. We were trying to find some fun trails that aren't too scary so we can talk family members into coming with us next time. It was pretty fun! And we stopped occasionally for Frank to look at rocks and whatnot as he is prone to do.


I enjoyed some pretty flowers. I like to see flowers and trees that grow up out of the barren dirt or rocks. It's just amazing to me.


All in all, a fun weekend. We are determined to find some friends to go with us next time...
stay tuned.


3 comments: