Saturday, February 24, 2018

The closet project

I decided to start another project on the long weekend which was to upgrade my closet a bit and add some drawers and shelves.  Frank had no idea that I even had this in my mind until I mentioned it while we were on a home depot trip for another reason.  (There are so many projects in my mind that he has no idea about, poor man)
 In my mind it was a quick project, of course.  But the reality was that it took 3 days of work, almost none of which was done by me.
I did do all of the assembly of the various parts for the shelves and drawers so that counts, right?

Here is the before:
A shelf, a long rod and a shoe shelf that I bought at Walmart
Frank did the demo of the shelving that was in there which was installed quite well and then painted, so it was a bit of a job getting it all out.  He then spackled all of the damaged areas and I painted it.


During:

Everything is ripped out, including the carpet and the spackling is done.
He also cut out part of the baseboard to make room for the new center tower with drawers/shelves.
It was not very hard to paint and I only did one coat since it'll be full of clothes anyway.


I meant to take a picture of the finished closet before I put my clothes in, but I forgot. 

I was in a rush to get all of my stuff out of Carter's room because he came home for the weekend and my crap was ALL OVER the place so he wouldn't have had anywhere to sleep.

Now that it's all hung up, I'm not going to unload it just to get a picture so here is the finished product (sort of):
Turns out I took the picture and then realized that I had more shelves to install so I did that afterwards.


My old closet didn't really have a good situation for shoe storage and neither does my new one, to be honest.
It's actually smaller than your average reach in closet so it's pretty tight.  Luckily we each have our own or we'd be in a heap of trouble.
I do really like having some drawers though since I used to keep things in plastic bins up on the shelf that I can now keep in a drawer.  I like that much better.
The highest shelf is really high... I need a step stool to reach up there.  I haven't put anything up there yet but I'm sure I'll think of something that needs to be in here but that I don't need that often.

Overall, a simple and fairly inexpensive project.
Well, simple for me.  Frank might not agree since he spent a fair number of hours in there putting it all together.
I just have to make sure to mention, on a regular basis, how much I like it and then he will feel that it was all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment