Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Project #4 Paint and New Doors

This is the part of the project with the most snafus which is a little funny because it's the one part of the project that Frank and I could have done ourselves without that much difficulty. But it would have been very time consuming and so it seemed like a good idea to have a professional do it.  And for the most part we ARE glad we didn't do it ourselves.

First of all, I'm not sure I can express how much I thought about and stressed over picking out the white paint we would use. I stayed up in the night for hours reading articles about how easy it is to screw up white paint. How bad it could look. I discovered that the white paint I had previously used on my trim and in several rooms was actually skewed blue and made the house feel cold. Who knew? But if I go too warm it will look yellow and dirty! Oy!  I almost drove Frank to drink with all my samples and stresses. I did eventually pick one though I'm still not sure how I managed it.


I got several quotes for paint. Professional painting is very expensive. But we have one wall in particular that is very tall, vaulted and over a stairway. I really didn't want to do that part. I also didn't want to paint the vaulted ceiling myself.

So we decided to compromise and have the professional paint the family room/vaulted ceiling. We would paint the hallway, kitchen and laundry room. 

When we started, Frank didn't know I wanted all new trim and doors. But once we started tearing things apart and removing tile (which is damaging to the trim anyway) I decided I might as well be doing it all right now instead of waiting for a year or two. So I broke the news to Frank who was, I admit, surprised. But he agreed as he had already decided that this was my project and he was just going to accept it. HA! We did compromise by not removing or changing trim or closet doors inside any of the bedrooms which seemed wise for keeping Frank sane.

The paint guy told me that he could do the trim and doors as well as the walls and he would paint it all too! Well, I was sold and told him to go ahead with all of it.

The wall painting went smoothly except that since we had changed the original bid (taken out hall, kitchen etc and added trim and doors) I think the paint guy was a little confused and the first thing he did was paint the entirety of the front room (ceiling and walls). I hadn't even planned on that being done at all. But by the time I saw him working it was too late. So he painted an entire extra room. ok.

He patched some spots on the ceiling and spent tons of time here. He was a super nice guy and his painting looks great.

We painted the hallway and kitchen walls. Later I noticed that where the hallway and family room meet, the paint sheens didn't match. That's when we learned that if you want a certain brand of paint, you have to be very specific because the professional painter will likely get a different brand but just paint match the color you want. So we ended up painting the hall again with his brand so the sheens would match. Lesson learned.

He put in the trim and did a ton of masking so that he could spray the trim and get a nice finish. It was so much work. As he was painting it was hard to tell exactly but it seemed like a different color than the walls to me. He assured me it wasn't different but sometime it could appear different due to the sheen difference. There is blue tape and masking paper so it's really hard to tell. But once we removed the masking, it became clear that the trim color was very different from the wall. I sent him a picture since he'd left for the day. I felt sick about it. 

Looks pretty white here but I could see a difference





The color difference was obvious and noticeable especially once the masking was down.


He was surprised because he said he ordered the same color as the walls but just in a semi-gloss. Anyway, I fretted over this. I kind of liked the look of the new color but it would mean that all my trim and doors would need to be that color. I wasn't sure. I asked friends and neighbors their opinions. Frank thought I should redo it all. I hated to have him do all that masking and work all over again! In the end we decided to redo it mainly because we had no idea what color this paint was and we mostly were concerned about being able to reproduce it exactly to do the doors and for touch up. He was super nice about it and just re-did all of it with the wall color.





Then it came to the doors...

I had gone to the door place with the painter to pick out which ones I wanted. The people there said that we could either give them measurements or just bring in our current doors for them to use as a template. I said, Oh why don't we do that? but the guy was like "no, no need! I'll just measure". I am pretty much a complete wuss if I am confronted by a situation where I think I know less than someone else. So I didn't push this issue though it seemed like an obvious choice to me. He proceed to measure our doors multiple times to make sure they were right.
He took the new doors to his studio or wherever and painted them. 
Frank likes to be... what is the word...devils advocate? negative nelly? when we hire anything out. He doubts that the project will turn out. I always doubt people too and watch them as they do their jobs to see if I think they know what they are doing. So basically we are both doubters. But I kept telling him to stop being negative, it will all work out great!

I was at work the day he delivered the doors. The hinges were not in the correct spot on ANY of the doors. It was disheartening to say the least. I'm not sure if they checked the actual measurements of any of the doors because it was so clear that the hinges were wrong. It was decided that he would take the doors back to the door place and have them redo the hinges and he would take our doors as templates. yeah.

So we were then without any interior doors. For weeks.
Turns out I do not sleep well without a door on my bedroom and I really dislike having a bathroom without a door.
We had workmen in our house all the time who sometimes need to use the facilities. And we had no doors.
Not ideal.
But turns out most of the time that doesn't stop them. FYI.

I put up a "curtain" using bedsheets on my bedroom and master bath, which helped. I didn't do more than that because I hated buying the tension rods knowing they'd only be used for a little while. Feels like money is flowing like water at this point.


So after however much time goes by, he bring back the doors to install.
I'm at work again...
Well, some of them just aren't quite right.
And none of them have the area chiseled out for the backplate on the door knob. Frank is kind of freaking out and tells them to just leave.
There were like 5 guys at my house doing this install and none of them read the directions on how to install the door knob...I informed Frank through text that we didn't need that little backplate part. 
It just pops off. 
So that was one headache fixed. 
By a woman who reads directions. 
Who was at work at the time.
I'm sure the door guys were relieved to get my text that they didn't have to once again take the doors back to the door place to get that chiseled out.

But a few of the doors are just not quite the right size. 
Most work ok.
The door to my bathroom from the master bedroom is a little too skinny and I can see lots of light when it's shut. It bugs me.
The double doors to the pantry are just plain wrong.

Frank is so over this by now that he just wants to never see the guy again.
He tells him to just bring back the original doors for the bathroom and pantry...to which he replies he had them recycled.
OY

We can't fix this problem so we choose "stick head in sand" for now.
We will deal with the pantry doors another day and live with the weird bathroom door.
He gives us a discount for those doors and we just pay him.

The other doors are fine and the paint job is lovely and they look great!


The trim work is probably not up to Frank's standards but he hasn't said anything because we are both realizing things are not going to be perfect and we just can't talk about it. hahaha





No comments:

Post a Comment