Thursday, August 15, 2024

Project #1 The Fireplace

The fireplace had to be the first project because it affected the floor which affected everything else. I had been trying to imagine a new fireplace since I moved into this place but coming up with something brand new is not my forte. Nor Franks. But I always disliked the strange cabinets around the fireplace. They got scorching hot whenever we lit a fire. I didn't like being able to see all of the tv/internet stuff in there either. Also since it was a log burning fireplace, we really didn't use it much. Burning isn't allowed on bad air days unless you use it as your main source of heat. I wanted a gas fireplace for enjoyment (we have a wood burning fireplace in the basement still for emergency use).

Original Fireplace

I had been in contact with a place that does fireplaces start to finish and felt like it was the way to go. I worried about being able to manage someone to build the surround and someone else to install the fireplace etc etc. I had several meetings with them. 

I originally had a drawing made for me by an architect I met through work. I LOVED his idea and it went so well with the outside look of my house. But I was worried about how much it would cost to do and also it would make such a statement that I really would have to design everything else in my house around it. I finally decided to go with less of a statement. I occasionally think about whether I should have just gone for his design but I'm happy with what we did.

the gorgeous first design

Also, my internet comes in to my house where the fireplace is, which has been a major problem finding a good design. I needed somewhere for the internet, tv stuff etc to fit. There is no other place for that stuff to come into my house. 

In the end, the fireplace store actually sent me the name of a designer who could help me figure it out.

She sent me several drawings and we narrowed down a plan.


The fireplace company was started at the beginning of January. Since we had the whole family here for Christmas, we didn't want the place torn up while they were here.

They came right out and demolished the existing fireplace and then framed in the new one. We were pretty impressed at the speed of the project.




Framed, sheetrock installed, gas fireplace installed

Things slowed down and this point and the guys came less often. We wondered at the order of some things that happened. Like why did they sheetrock the whole thing before doing electrical or putting in the hidden cabinet on the side. But we aren't the professionals so we just decided to trust.

But then lots of time seemed to go by with not much getting done. 

The time came to remove the tile and the carpet. So we did that. Then it was time to put in the new wood floor but the fireplace wasn't done so I felt nervous about that. The fireplace guys said no problem go ahead and install the floor.

Once the floor was in, we realized the fireplace was too low and the cover didn't stay on. No big deal, they came and raised the fireplace. They had to do that twice.

Anyway, it seemed like we'd get like one guy out for an hour or two each week and not much was happening. They lost some workers and they also had a bout of flu go through their ranks. It was all pretty much understandable but made us nervous.

We started to feel like we were not a priority and that we were getting newbies who didn't know what they were doing.

But then things would get done and we would feel better.  When it came time to do the trim, we had a bad day where a guy came and worked all day and when he left things were much worse than before he arrived. We had a talk with the manager and owner. They apologized and promised to have the manager guy come do all the rest of the work himself and stay until it was done.


Frank was like "I just want my tv back!" haha
Anyway, things went more quickly after that and they finished it up. They painted, installed lights and installed our tv back where it belonged. They build the surround and put the stucco stuff on it. 




The only part I wasn't happy with was the hidden door. It was kind of crooked and wasn't hidden well. They had cut into the trim and it just looked a bit janky to me.





I decided to have a couple of finish carpenters out to see if they thought it was repairable. One guy seemed very knowledgeable and gave us an approximate quote. I told the fireplace company that if they would give me a discount of that amount we would just call it good.
They texted back within just a few moments saying it was a done deal.
I think they were as done with us as we were with them. ha!

It took a few months for the finish carpenter to fit us into the schedule but he came and it looks MUCH nicer. We noticed that during the months before he came, we stopped noticing the janky hidden door. He called it the "bug on the windshield effect". But now that it's done, I'm glad we got it fixed. Looks way better


All in all, the project took 8 months to complete. We thought it would be the fastest project but it was the first to start and last to finish. We had some cool days in June and actually used the gas fireplace. I think it is lovely and so much better than before.


I still feel like I would recommend the fireplace company. In the end they did a good job and all along the way, they promised to make me happy no matter how long it took. They followed through with that promise. I just wouldn't have them do a hidden door if you have a project for them ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment