Monday, July 18, 2022

Spontaneous fun

 It's unusual for Frank and I to have two fun things in one day but this happened for us today.

We had tickets to see our neighbor in the local production of Shrek, the Musical.  Then at work, one of our patients gave me free tickets to an outdoor concert of an A Capella group out of New York.

I LOVE A capella. We'll start with that.

It was a tough decision but when I couldn't find someone to take the concert tickets and Frank was leaning towards doing the outdoor activity (covid), we decided to go to the concert and see the play another day.

We got some dinner and the sky started looking a bit sketchy. I could see that south of us it was definitely raining...even saw some lightning here and there.  Not good. Nothing on the website talked about postponing the concert so we went.

We each brough a small chair, an umbrella and, at the last minute, I grabbed a small  blanket.

I also made the mistake of changing into shorts. I don't know why I thought that was a good idea.

By the time we arrived to the concert, it was raining and 63 degrees!  (It had been a hot day!)

All the regular attenders were prepared with big umbrellas, blankets, rain ponchos, jackets etc.  We felt a bit dumb with our little umbrellas and shorts on.

Nevertheless we found ourselves a spot and hunkered down under the umbrellas.


The concert was really good but even the entertainers were getting rained on...the only one far enough back on the outdoor stage to be out of the rain was the "drummer".  
I mean, they were soaked!
The stage had large puddles and you could tell they were doing some of their dance moves in a much more careful way to avoid slipping.

It really came down for awhile and people's umbrellas were turning inside out from the wind. It was crazy!  Some people gave up and left, especially  people with little kids and some older folks too. We were determined to stick it out. 


We were so hunkered down that we couldn't see the stage at all most of the time. Occasionally I would get a peak of their shoes. ha! I did stand up for awhile just to be able to see them but realized my seat was getting wet in my absence so I sat back down.



Amazingly, the rain did eventually stop! We had a stunning rainbow as well.
After the rain stopped and we all put away our umbrellas, the concert was super fun. We could see the band, people were clapping and dancing and it was a really fun time.


My little blanket saved the day and kept both Frank and I pretty warm under the umbrellas.
We had a really good time and were both glad we had been spontaneous!



No comments:

Post a Comment