Sunday, February 2, 2020

Frantic

I was lounging on the couch in my pajamas at 8:15 this morning when I realized, suddenly, that I was supposed to be at an appointment in Salt Lake City at 9:00 am at the airport which is just about 45 minutes away.

This is not just any appointment.
This is the appointment for my interview for the trusted traveler system.  Something I have been waiting over 9 months for. Something that was so important I had set up several alerts in my phone: 2 hours before and 1 hour before so that I absolutely would not forget.

I have no idea why it has taken all these months to get this appointment but it was the only option for scheduling. The next available appointment is June.
And I have no idea what happens if you miss it. I'm guessing you wait lots of more months.

I don't have a trip coming up soon but just the fact that I've been waiting all these months makes this appointment very important to me. I filled out the paperwork months and months ago and it took forever to just be allowed to be able to book the interview and then there were so few interview slots available that I was lucky to find this one.

And I forgot.

And my stupid phone did not beep or give me ANY kind of reminder. GAH! (actually, I did find a little silent alert on my phone later but I really needed a beep or noise or something more intrusive, obviously!)

Picture me suddenly jumping up, running into my room and saying "I'm supposed to be in Salt Lake!" while I run around frantically getting dressed.
I threw some jeans on. I picked up my bra and thought "I don't have time for this!" and threw it back in the drawer and pulled on a sweatshirt.
I haven't brushed my teeth. I haven't brushed my hair. I haven't even looked in a mirror for Pete's sake!

As I'm running out the door, THANK HEAVEN I think..."do I need my passport?" Of course I do!  I run to the basement and rummage way longer than I wanted to before finding my passport.

I'm always good about keeping gas in my car but, of course, this time I have let it get below 1/2 tank. Which honestly is enough gas but I'm still annoyed at myself.  I left the house with 38 minutes to my appointment. And a full bladder.

I drive like a maniac. I speed. I pray that no cops see me.  I arrive at the airport at 8:56.

I actually RUN past the people waiting in line for security.  I have no idea where I'm supposed to go even though I had Frank text me the directions. I find the help desk and he tells me I'm in the wrong building, to go to the next Terminal.  I RUN to the next terminal. As I'm running I was thinking "Gosh, my foot actually feels ok and I'm running pretty well. I should probably be exercising more."
I'm also wondering what the people around me are thinking of me as I sprint by. I'm also wondering why I didn't take a few more seconds to put on my bra...

When I arrive to the proper door I am winded, my throat and mouth are totally dry and I'm trying to just pull myself together to look unfrazzled as I walk in.  The guy greeting me talks so fast my brain literally can't figure out what he is saying to me. Either that or I was just too discombobulated to decipher words. It was the weirdest. I was just staring at him trying to figure out what he was saying. He had to say it 3 times before I understood that he was saying "Are you here for a global entry interview?"

Haaa!  Why, yes, I am.  When he realized I actually understood him he was like "good, we speak the same language" haha oh man.

It wasn't really an interview, just fingerprinting and information gathering/sharing. I DID need my passport so thank heaven I remembered that in my spastic state.

As I feared, they took my picture.  Unbrushed teeth, uncombed hair, wearing my thick and ginormous brown sweatshirt. Yeah, that was awesome. And will probably last 10 years or something...if not longer.

As I left the airport a short time later, walking leisurely and after using the restroom (blessedly), I took a selfie to remember this fine moment and my wonderful hairdo.  I was right by some people waiting in line for security so I felt a bit weird about it but sometimes you just gotta take a selfie.

You're looking at the newest Trusted Traveler.
Now to book a vacation overseas...




No comments:

Post a Comment