Saturday, April 20, 2019

Cleaning the house

I've known for a long time that I'm a bit scattered. I'm easily distracted and often go from one thing to the next without finishing the first thing.
I've made it work over the years but it does sometimes hit me that I am really all over the place! For example, today I decided to clean entire house. Here is a partial rundown of how it went:

Get out steamer for shower. I hate cleaning the shower so why not start with the worst task.
Notice laundry. Take load of laundry to the washer and start it.
Start Roomba in laundry room while I'm there.
Go back to shower. Realize I forgot a part to be able to start the steamer.
Go to laundry room for part.  See that dryer has stopped.
Take clean clothes to bedroom.
Bed is not made. Make bed so I can set clothes on bed.
Never got the part for steamer. Go to laundry room for part.
Bring back part and plug steamer in.
Get out vacuum while steamer is getting heated up.
Vacuum guest room.
Remember that I wanted to move a picture that is currently hanging in guest room. Take picture down. Try to get nail out of wall...unsuccessful. Need hammer.
Go get container of miscellaneous stuff for hanging picture on wall and place on guest bed.
Notice that trash can in guest room is dirty.
Take trash can to bathroom and attempt to clean it with steamer (that is now ready)
Steam shower for a bit. Trash can not coming clean.
Take trash can to kitchen and fill with hot soapy water.
Finish steaming shower.
Put toilet bowl cleaner in guest bath toilet. (Not the bathroom I was working on. Don't remember what caused me to even go in there!)
Vacuum guest room and office.
Realize there are things in office that need to be put away.
Take books to front room.
See plants that need watering.
Water plants.
Think to self: just finish one thing Debbie!
Scrub guest bath toilet.
Back to office...I will finish vacuuming.
Vacuum for about 5 seconds. See neighbors outside chatting. Feel sorry for self for having no friends. (Ok ok, I know I have friends. Sometimes it just doesn't feel like it)
See comforter in the office that sister gave me that we never use.
Text sister to see if she wants it back.
Decide to sell mirror that is also in office. Think about asking Frank how much to ask for it on KSL. Realize I am out of control and still haven't finished one single thing. Will deal with mirror later.
Finish vacuuming office, hall and entry.  Begin vacuuming family room.
Find hair tie that needs to go to my bathroom.
Pick up hair tie and head toward bathroom...
end up on phone for a few minutes. No idea where hair tie is now.
Found hair tie!
Take to bathroom. Notice that steamer is still plugged in. Steam bathroom sinks because why not.
Frank's sink is running slow. Take a few minutes to unplug his sink/clean drain.
Unplug steamer because I am done with it (one task finished? Well, steamer is not put away yet)

It goes on in the same way for hours...

During the time that I was doing all this Frank was working in the yard.
We were both working the whole time but Frank was systematically doing all the things he wanted to get done on the yard. He started with weeding and does all of it including using the weed whacker thing around the whole yard, then cleaning out the black berries, mowing, trimming and cleaning up.  He now has a beautiful clean yard.
I, on the other hand, have a steamer to put away, one room that still needs to be vacuumed. Two clean bathrooms (go me!) and a dishwasher that was unloaded but only partially loaded for some reason.
The guest room and office still have various things around that need doing, but I did at least get them vacuumed. I still need to go get the hammer.

No comments:

Post a Comment