Sunday, October 7, 2018

Sunday Musings

It's Sunday afternoon and I just finished watching conference.  It was a good conference and I really love President Russell M Nelson.  He seems so down to earth and friendly but at the same time, I can just feel it when he speaks prophetically.

Yesterday we watched conference with both the Peterson family and the Peters family as well as Carter who came down from college. It was so much fun to be with the old friends from Massachusetts. They feel so much like family now and I miss our regular get-togethers. But the Petersons are in Logan and the Peters are now in Arizona so we can see them somewhat frequently.   We barbecued and chatted and played games and did puzzles and watched conference of course! It was a great day.

Today we went to Doneen and Alan's for conference. Carter insisted multiple times that  we should go there so I asked her and she was happy to have us. Turns out she has a tradition of making homemade cinnamon rolls on conference Sunday which Carter knew. Smart kid!  Anyway, it was nice to be with family and the cinnamon roll was AMAZING (as expected).

Mom talked her herself the whole time as usual but stopped talking completely during President Jeffrey R. Holland's talk. I always always love his talks. I can feel his testimony so strongly and I am always touched when he speaks. Anyway, that felt like a little miracle to me! Mom was totally calm.
I hate that she is just so stressed and unhappy these days. It's bad enough to see her with dementia but to see her being so full of bad feelings and thoughts is especially hard. I know it is a somewhat common thing for people with dementia to get suspicious and anxious but its really hard to watch.

Now Frank is off for a little "me time" since he has Monday off (no one else does). He's headed to Southern Utah for some 4-wheeling or hiking or something fun like that. So, now I am home alone thinking deep thoughts and watching crappy tv.  I know those two things seem incompatible but, for me, they are not.

Just for fun, here are the shows I currently watch whenever Frank is away (never when he's here because he would hate them):
The Good Place-love this show! Frank actually didn't hate this one. He watched season 1. But so far I have watched the first two episodes without him. oops.
American Housewife-didn't really like this one at first, it's a little overdone or something but it's just one that I keep watching. And somehow I enjoy it. ha!
This Is Us- I mean, obviously. It's awesome.  But honestly I watch the funny shows first.
Parenthood-I binge watch this one.  The others are being recorded on my DVR so I can only watch one episode at a time.

One of the things we were challenged to do during conference was to take a 10 day social media fast. I started today and, although I knew I had a problem, it has been so hard already. In moments of quiet I reach for my phone without thinking and try to go to Facebook.  I put the social media apps on Time Limit on my phone so that they are greyed out. It's scary how often I start to go there!  I'm sure the next 10 days will be eye opening for me.  And hopefully I will be a little better off afterwards.  I know most of us these days have some kind of phone "problem" and I am no different. I can't really use it at work so that helps me to keep from becoming too addicted, hopefully. But at home I'm looking at my phone too much. Usually reading news and getting all worked up about Trump which is definitely not healthy.

In other news, Ryan moved back to Utah! He's only been here a couple of days but I'm excited to have him closer. He is job and apartment hunting currently.  I'm hoping we can do a weekly lunch or something like that once he's settled. OK, he might not want weekly...but something regular. A mom can dream, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment