Wednesday, July 22, 2026

To Wales for Austin's graduation!

I'm writing this on July 19th. We got back yesterday from our week long trip to Wales/UK. It was such a fun trip and I'm so glad we were able to go!  

Day one (July 11)

We took off the evening of the 10th and did an overnight flight. It wasn't too bad but it's a long flight. Luckily we were in comfort plus so had a little more leg room. It's still so hard to sleep on a plane! I was using the time shifter app to try to avoid jet lag and I tried pretty hard to follow it while on the plan in order to feel better while we were there. I didn't watch a single movie or have any soda. So unlike me.

Arrived at Heathrow waiting for our pickup!

Austin and Lauren picked us up at the airport and we drove straight to the Cotswolds for 3 days of vacation before going back to Wales for the graduation. Our airbnb was so cute and cozy. It was also walking distance to the downtown area of our little town. We stayed in Cirencester.

Our cute Airbnb (some pics from the ad since I'm bad a taking pictures)





We walked around town and got some food. There was a little street farmer's market type thing going on which was fun to see. 
Lauren had made reservations at a local restaurant which was delicious.

This beautiful church was a short walk from our Airbnb. It was closed for a wedding while we were there but it was fun to see all the people dressed up and the old Rolls Royce that were used to convey the wedding party

We walked around the little town quite a bit. We were trying to find a lake that was on the map but we never did find it. It was a nice walk though.



Lauren had booked dinner at a nice restaurant in town called Sam and Jak
After dinner we walked through a lovely park on the way home.


We watched part of the World Cup Match (England v. Norway)  but Frank and I didn't stay up too late as we were pooped!

Day 2 (July 12)

We drove to Sudeley Castle for a tour. It was fun to see the amazing grounds, the old beautiful buildings and also learn about some of the history of the place as it was owned by King Henry the 8th and also visited by Queen Elizabeth I



The old tithing building. It was huge!









This is a lovely church on the property








the grounds had a bunch of different animal sculptures. I loved this big hedgehog



Amazing gardens



a peacock just hanging around




We went to another village after the castle where we walked around, shopped, saw a car show and had afternoon tea



We got a few sandwiches to share: egg salad, cucumber, tuna and turkey and cranberry. I got a scone and Victoria sponge. My tea was peppermint which I forget how much I like. I have some at home and should drink it more!

We were all pretty tired from the walking and the heat. I think we went home after that and watched a movie I think. It's amazing how soon I forget the details!

Day 3 (July 13)

The next day was checkout day for the Airbnb

We drove to Castle Combe which is supposed to be the cutest village in England or something like that. The place was packed with tourists, walking along the road into town. Austin and Lauren found a good parking spot right in the village. It is, indeed, a very cute village. It think it might be annoying to live there with all the tourists wandering around though. There was one industrious man who had a coffee shop that he ran from his front door. Snacks outside that you could just pay by putting the money through his mail slot. If you wanted coffee or tea, you could knock and his door and he would bring it out to you. Wish I had gotten a picture.













The only pub in the town was not open yet, so we didn't eat there. Just enjoyed the scenery and had a nice walk around.




We then headed back to Cardiff. Lauren had a meeting to prepare for and Austin needed to go pick up his graduation stuff.

We drove to Cardiff University to pick up the cap and gown. We walked round campus a bit, which was fun. Austin showed us the buildings where he had the majority of his classes.



picking up the cap and gown:


We took pictures of the mannequin so we could be sure to put the clothes on right for graduation. ha!





the tour of campus:




Where Austin reenacted studying in the cafe he frequented. Cafe probably isn't the right word.


Lauren worked a bit that day and we enjoyed their back garden.


We made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner and played games before bed.

Day Four (July 14)
 GRADUATION DAY!

Austin looked so dapper!

We got up early to get ready and catch the train to get to graduation early.

It was a little bit of a walk to the building where the graduation took place. Lauren was glad she'd changed from her strappy heels to some more comfortable sandals. There was a fair amount of walking that day and I saw plenty of girls regretting their shoe choice. Ha!



We had assigned seats which was nice and we had a decent view of the stage. We got to chat with Austin before it started but he was, of course, seated in a different area.



They did a great job with the graduation. None of the speeches were too long. We all thought it was great!

We tried to be super loud when Austin went across the stage but he said he didn't hear us. Dang it, we were loud!


Austin, doffing his cap


After the graduation ceremony, there was a reception near campus. 
They had some areas set up for pictures which we took advantage of.









We walked over to the reception area and it was a full blown party!
Tents with food, lots of decorations, live music etc
They had a tent for Austin's school (Law and Politics) where we congregated and they gave out a few prizes. Austin saw a few people he knew from class and they got to catch up a bit also.







We opted to get lunch from the food tents and then ate in the shade of a nice tree in the park
We decided we needed pictures of Austin throwing his cap and he was kind enough to oblige.
He was a good sport to take any and all pictures we wanted.





Since returning home I've been describing this day as joyous. 
We were just all so happy to be there. 
Austin seemed happy and looked so good in his graduation attire.
Lovely lovely day!

We went home for a bit and then had dinner reservations that night at a very nice vineyard restaurant called Llanerch.
It was just beautiful and the food was very good!




Day 5 (July 15)
Austin and Lauren's house



Wednesday we went to The Big Pit
An old coal mine that is now a tourist area.
It was so interesting and we got to walk around inside the mine. You couldn't take anything with batteries so no phones and, therefore, no pictures.
They showed us area where people would get the coal
They showed us the stalls for the horses that were brought down into the mine and never brought back out while alive (felt so barbaric!).They would live in total darkness when the men would leave and just candle light during the day while they hauled heavy loads of coal. Seemed like a terrible life for animal and man alike.


Frank looks happy in the other picture he took, but he accidentally cropped out Lauren so we get the serious Frank

Looking down on all of the buildings around the mine. They had the original shower rooms up this hill, which were cool to tour as well.

After the Big Pit, we went to the local fitness center for a game of pickleball.
Then we cleaned up a little and headed to the grocery store for picnic supplies.
We took our picnic to Insole Court (a very cool manor house where Lauren does art classes) for the summer art show.
The house was super cool. The art was beautiful --lots of different types of art from all kinds of classes. Lauren's art was watercolor and it was amazing.
I didn't take any pictures though! Hopefully I can get some from Lauren.



There were some oil paintings that I would have purchased, they were so beautiful.
We had a nice picnic on the lawn in the shade.

Day 6 (July 16)

In the morning we went into town center to the hardware store to get needed items for Frank to repair a broken chair in the dining room. While we were there we had some pastry and tea, which was lovely. Frank got the chair all taken apart and then glued back together and fixed up before we left. I like to make sure Frank has a project anytime we visit a kid. HA!

Lauren had to go back to work today so we decided to go on a hike. The hike was called Salmon's Leap. It was a lovely 5 mile walk with lots of different terrain: from pastures to roads to forests. We all really enjoyed it. We tried to go to a nearby cafe that Austin described as very cute with the unhappiest owners ever. haha  We were kind of excited to meet the cranky folks but, alas, the cafe closed early that day. So we went home for sandwiches instead.




After we got home, Frank took a nap for awhile.
Lauren was working.
So Austin and I sat outside and I requested some music.
He played both banjo and guitar for me (and Frank when he rejoined us)
Lauren was working nearby and I told her she should be requesting music like this every day!
He is very good. 
Somehow I only got a very short video of the guitar. I think I hit stop when I meant to hit start...as I am known to do.

Austin cracked me up when he played laying down in the grass.





Whenever we were home, Frank and I often enjoyed time in the back garden. They have a lovely, shady sitting area and lots of butterflies in the garden.



Day 7 (July 17)


We spent the morning packing.
Frank finished up fixing the chair (why no picture, Debbie?!)

We decided to walk to the pier so we could see the water. I considered putting my toes in but the "beach" was fairly good sized rocks and no one else seemed at all tempted. So we had an ice cream (it was my goal on the vacation to have an ice cream as often as possible) and walked around a bit. We took a different way home. Or plan was to get fish and chips (traditional) at the beach but we totally forgot. So we found a fish place on the way home. It was cash only, and we had no cash. Turned out that you could go to the little shop across the street to pay but it was all quite complicated. Frank did get his fish and chips in the end though. I bought a couple of waters while paying for the fish and chips. Austin went to a little cafe right there and got a sandwich. I was just kind of hot and didn't care for anything I saw, so I opted to wait til we got home and have a sandwich there.
We walked to a park we had passed and sat in the shade to eat.
Frank remembered that he actually dislikes "chips" as they are too fat compared to American fries. So Austin and I helped ourselves and it was a good snack turns out.
We walked back home when they were done eating and I had a peanut butter sandwich that really hit the spot.


We had debated whether we should take a train or something to London for our flight but it all felt quite complicated due to having to change trains, take busses etc with our heavy luggage. In the end Austin offered to drive us into London where we would spend the last night in a hotel near the airport. It was a very kind gesture as the airport is 2.5 hours from his house!!

One of Austin's complaints about living where he does is the lack of good Mexican food. So we found a Mexican restaurant in London with good reviews and went there for dinner.
It was very yummy!! A good choice.

I had a scare when we arrived at the restaurant, where I was afraid I had left my passport at home, which would have been a nightmare. But luckily I found it under my bag on the floor of the car. Whew!

We checked into our hotel without issues and got right to sleep as we had an early flight the next day.


Now that we're home, I get a lot of people just asking "How was your trip?" as people do. And I just keep saying "IT WAS SO GREAT!"
It really was just a lovely time and I'm so happy we got to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment